Our energy-saving tips will help you save a few pounds as well as doing your bit for the planet.
Every day a little of the food, water and fuel you use is wasted. Over a year these small amounts can add up.
Save on heating
- Make sure you understand how your central heating works so you’re using the right settings for your home.
- If you have a heating programmer, check it’s on the right temperature for you and at the right time of day.
- Find out how to make the most of your storage heaters if you have them.
- If you need help with your heating system, just let us know.
- Get tips on saving energy on the Energy Saving Trust website.
Help with the cost of energy bills
There are a few schemes that can help with grants and funding to help you save money on your energy bills.
- If you’re over 63 then you may qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment of up to £300.
- If you’re on a low income you might qualify for the Cold Weather Payment. You’ll get £25 per week in very cold weather.
- The Warm Homes Discount is a government-run scheme run with some energy suppliers. You’ll be sent a letter if you qualify and be paid some money back to help towards your heating bills.
We recommend two impartial companies. Both offer a quick and easy service helping reduce your energy bills:
Citrus Energy – They compare every energy price from every energy supplier. Their suggestions could save you an average of £208 a year on gas and electricity bills. Call 0800 221 8089
MyHomeEnergy – switching to MyHomeEnergy and make an average annual saving of £244. Call 0800 0014 706 to switch today.
Save on water use
There’s lots of different ways to reduce the amount of water you use. And if you’re on a water meter this can help as well.
Find out how to use less water when you shower, wash your clothes or even flush the toilet.
Save on water charges
If you don’t have a water meter you can contact your supplier to find out if changing might save you money.
Some water suppliers now offer discounts for customers on a low income. Check here to see if yours offers a discount.