Funding your care

Get help and advice about funding your care.

Care funded by your Council

The social care department of your local Council may pay for your care. This is based on your personal circumstances, so they may visit you to assess your needs. If you qualify for financial help, your Council may choose who delivers your care. It might be Guinness or another care company.

This easy benefit calculator from Age UK will help you to see if you’re eligible for any financial support for your care costs.

If you want to change your current care provider, you can ask to switch to another provider. In these and other cases, your local Council may send your care allowance to you directly. This is known as a personal budget or sometimes referred to as a direct payment. You can have your personal budget given to you as a direct payment, and then choose which care company to use. You can also top up the payment to receive extra services if you want to.

Paying for your own care

If you do not qualify for Council funded care, you will be required to pay for your care yourself.

Choosing a provider

If you are paying for your own care (or if you receive a direct payment), you get to choose your care provider, the type of care, and how and when you receive it.

There are lots of care providers to choose from, such as Guinness, and you will be responsible for researching your options and arranging your care.

Additional financial support

You may also be entitled to other benefits to help pay for your care, such as:

Getting advice

When choosing a provider it’s important to find the right option for you or your loved one. Make sure you know what care you want and need. To get more advice on choosing your provider you can contact one of the following:

You can call us for advice and to chat about your options from 8am–8pm Monday to Friday on 0303 123 1890.