Funding your care

Get help and advice about funding your care.

Care funded by your Council

The social care department of your local Council may pay for your care. This is based on your personal circumstances, so they may visit you to assess your needs. If you qualify for financial help, your Council chooses who delivers your care. It might be Guinness Care or another care company.

This easy benefit calculator from Age UK will help you to see if you’re eligible for any financial support for your care costs.

If you want to change your current care provider, you can ask to switch to another provider. In these and other cases, your local Council may send your care allowance to you directly. This is known as a personal budget. You can have your personal budget given to you as a direct payment, and then choose which care company to use. You can also top up the payment to receive extra services if you want to.

Paying for your own care

If you do not qualify for Council funded care, you will be required to pay for your care yourself.
Through paying for your own care, you get to choose the type of care and how and when you receive it.  You will be responsible for researching your options and arranging this.

Getting advice

When choosing a provider it’s important to find the right option for you or your loved one. Make sure you know what care you want and need. To get more advice on choosing your provider you can contact one of the following:

You can call us to chat about your options 9am–5pm Monday to Friday on 0300 123 0705.

Attendance allowance

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if you’re over 65 and you’re physically or mentally disabled. For more info visit the Government website

Paying for your own care

If you’re paying for your own care (or if you receive a direct payment), there are lots of care providers you could approach. They may be local or national, big or small.

Make sure you know what care you want and need, and compare different companies. Look at their records and reputation on Care Quality Commission and NHS Choices.

Further advice