Login to MyGuinness to request a repair, report anti-social behaviour or provide feedback.

If you have a general query then you can get in touch here.

Not signed up for MyGuinness yet?

Register and log into your MyGuinness account today to access your account 24/7.

Talk to us

We’re open Monday to Saturday, 8am–8pm (and 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for emergency repairs and rent payments).

Call the Guinness customer service team on 0303 123 1890

Live Chat (situated on the right hand side of the website) is available from 8am-8pm

TextRelay18001 0303 123 1890 for people with hearing or speech difficulties.


  • A Guinness operative in front of a repairs van

    Report a repair

    Need something fixing in your home? Get in touch to report it.

  • Staff talking to customers

    Did we get it wrong?

    We want every customer to get an amazing service. But if we don't get it right, we want to know so we can do something about it. If you're unhappy, let us know.

  • Man in call centre

    General queries

    Use this form to ask a question or give some feedback. You can also drop us a note or chat to us on social media.

  • Cleaning up graffiti

    Report anti-social behaviour

    If you’re having issues on your estate our anti-social behaviour team is here to help. You can report anti-social behaviour here.

  • Anti-social-behaviour-and-nuisance feature

    Report a neighbourhood issue

    Something not quite right in your neighbourhood? Find out who’s responsible and report any problems.

  • Young carer showing older woman her mobile phone.

    Contact Guinness Care

    Whether you want to speak to us about your care options or just need some advice, our friendly, experienced staff are here to help.

What to expect from us

Great customer service is at the heart of what we do. We want to deliver reliable and consistent services and focus on the services that matter most to you.

Read our customer service standards
Staff member on a computer