Your bills

Find out how to get discounts or support with other household bills and essentials.

Council Tax rebate

If you live in Council Tax bands A to D in England you’ll get £150 back from your Council Tax bill (4 out of 5 households in England).

For most people the rebate is automatic, however if you don’t pay your Council Tax by direct debit then get in touch with your Council.

More information on the Council Tax rebate.

Household Support Fund

£1.5 billion has been made available to support the most vulnerable to cover their essential daily costs, like energy bills. Recipients include pensioners and families with children.

Contact your local Council to check if you’re eligible for the Household Support Fund.

Budgeting loans

You may be eligible for a Budgeting Loan if you’ve been on certain benefits for 6 months. This can be used for household items, rent in advance and travelling costs.

Check if you’re eligible for a Budgeting Loan.

Other money loans

Loan fee fraud is an increasingly common scam. Protect yourself with the quick three-step check:

  • If you’re asked to pay an upfront fee, it could be a scam.
  • If you’re asked to pay quickly, it could be a scam.
  • If you’re asked to pay in an unusual way, such as vouchers or money transfer, it could be a scam.

Always check that the provider is authorised by the FCA before you borrow. Visit

Cheaper phone and broadband

You may be eligible to move onto a social tariff if you’re struggling to afford your broadband or phone services.

Check the Ofcom website to see if you can switch to a social tariff.

Find out more about Fibre Broadband on our dedicated webpage.

TV Licence fee freeze

The TV licence fee has been frozen at £159 until 2024. This means households will not see any change to the licence fee until 1 April 2024.

Find out more information on free TV Licence for over 75’s.

Get help with all or part of your rent

You may get help with all or part of your rent.

There’s no set amount of housing costs support and what you get will depend on whether you rent privately or from a council or housing association.

Use a benefits calculator to find out if you can get benefits to help pay your rent.

Council Tax support schemes

Councils run support schemes to help people on low incomes with their Council Tax bill.

Contact your local Council to find out what support is available.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

Check if you’re eligible for a discretionary housing payment.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Check if you are eligible for Housing Benefit .

Support for additional housing costs

You may be able to get support for additional housing costs if you’re already claiming Housing Benefit.

Contact your local Council to find out what support you can get.

Food banks and food pantries

We know it’s a challenging time for everyone at the moment and that sometimes the essentials in life, like food, can take a back seat when you’re struggling financially.

Our dedicated food banks and pantries webpage has information about food banks and food pantries across the country that help to serve those who may need extra help in some of the communities where we have properties. You’ll be able to find out the difference between food banks and food pantries, what each can offer and where you can find them, should you need them.