Lodgers and sub-letting

You can take in a lodger or sublet some of your home if it's allowed in your tenancy agreement.

You’ll need to let us know in writing and we’ll review the arrangement every six months.

What are your responsibilities?

You’ll still be responsible for making sure that your rent and any service charges are paid. And you’ll be responsible for your lodger/sub-tenant’s behaviour.

We’d recommend subletting your home on similar terms to your own lease. Draw up an agreement with them so that you’re both clear on:

  • how long they’ll stay with you and an agreed notice period
  • which rooms they’ll have access to and any services you’ll provide
  • how much rent they’ll pay you and whether they contribute to bills
  • any house rules.

We won’t:

  • get involved in any disputes between you and your lodger/sub-tenant
  • take them into account if we apply for possession of the property or evict you
  • take them into account if you want to move via a transfer or mutual exchange
  • allow them to take on your home after your death
  • take them into account if we have to move you to carry out major works
  • allow them to stay in the property if the tenancy ends.

What other things should I do if I get a lodger?

Before they move in

  • Check how much rent you can charge by comparing the size and quality of your room with others in your area.
  • Look on www.spareroom.co.uk to see how much income you’re allowed to earn from a lodger or sub tenant.
  • Advertise your room. You can do this for free on www.spareroom.co.uk
  • Be careful about letting strangers into your home. Interview them in person and find out as much as you can about them before they move in.

When they move in

  • let Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom office know you’ve taken in a lodger/sub-tenant for tax purposes
  • let the Department for Work and Pensions know as it can affect your benefit entitlement
  • tell your insurance company, as it might affect your home contents insurance
  • register your lodger as part of the household with your local council tax department. They’ll stop any single occupancy rates.

What if I want my lodger or sub-tenant to move out?

  • You should ask them to leave in writing, giving them a reasonable amount of time to find somewhere else to live.
  • If they refuse to leave, you should seek legal advice. The Citizens Advice Bureau can help you.
  • Notify us when they move out so that we can keep our records up to date.

When would you refuse a request?

Aside from your tenancy agreement, we’ll deny a request if:

  • it would make your home overcrowded
  • we’re taking action against you or the lodger/sub-tenant for anti-social behaviour
  • we think that you’re being pressured into taking in a lodger/sub-tenant and don’t really want to
  • the lodger/sub-tenant wouldn’t qualify to live in your home because it’s in a specific scheme (such as housing for older people).