What to do if a tenant passes away

Losing a loved one is very painful. Making arrangements and telling banks and other organisations about a bereavement is particularly hard. If your relative lived in a Guinness home, here's what you need to know.

If you’re not taking over the tenancy

Please complete the form at the bottom of this page, providing next of kin/executor details.  A member of our Tenancy Management Team will then be in touch to obtain a copy of the death certificate and explain what happens next with your relative’s tenancy and home.

Once we’ve received a copy of the death certificate, a 28 day notice period will apply. You’ll be responsible for paying the rent during this period. Please arrange for any belongings to be removed from the property.

There’s more information about what to do when a loved one dies on the gov.uk website.

If you want to take over the tenancy

You might be eligible to take over a relative or partner’s tenancy if they pass away. This is called tenancy succession.

Who’s eligible for tenancy succession?

Not all tenancies allow someone to take them over, so you should check the tenancy agreement first. Please call our Tenancy Management Team on 0161 219 7226 if you have any questions or wish to check if you are eligible for succession.

If the tenancy allows succession, you may be eligible to take it on in the following circumstances, if you:

  • are a partner, spouse or cohabitee and were living in the home without a joint tenancy
  • are a family member living there for at least a year before the tenant’s death
  • are now responsible for the tenant’s children, you may be able to stay in the house.

We may offer you a different property if the house is specifically adapted or is too big or small for you.

You can read our succession policy here.

Next of kin notice form