Gas servicing

As your landlord we'll carry out a gas safety check each year to make sure your home is safe.


Making sure you have a safe home to live in is our top priority.

If your home is connected to the gas network, we’ll write to tell you when your check is due. A qualified gas engineer will visit your home to complete the check.

What if I miss the appointment?

If you can’t make the appointment, please let us know as soon as possible.

It’s really important that we check your gas appliances and supply pipe every year. In fact, it’s a legal requirement as your landlord.

If you miss your gas check appointment repeatedly, we’ll have to gain access through an injunction, and pass our legal costs on to you. So if you can’t make the appointment, it’s best to let us know, so we can reschedule.

Do I need to keep a check on my gas boiler?

Between services you can keep an eye on your gas boiler.

It’s always advised to report any repairs or faults as they occur, don’t wait until you need it most to report a breakdown.

What if my heat and hot water is supplied by a communal boiler?

This will mean there often won’t be anything in your property because the boiler is in a local plantroom.  You must still report any problems with your system straight away, however it does help us if you can talk to your neighbours to help us understand if it’s one system or a communal system problem and helps us in our response.

Servicing of the communal system does take place every twelve months and a copy of that certificate is made available to our customers; you might not see the engineers as this takes place in the plantroom.


Before you install any new gas appliances in your property you must gain written permission from us.  If we are not notified and you haven’t received written permission to install a new appliance, you will be asked to remove them. If you are replacing an existing gas cooker, you don’t need written permission.

We do not give permission for the installation of solid fuel burning appliances such as AGA’s or wood burners.

At no time do we permit the keeping of gas canisters and gas bottles in your home.

What should I do if I smell gas?

You must:

  • Open doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
  • Turn off the gas at the mains tap, which is usually near the meter. Move the handle a quarter turn until it’s at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
  • Leave the property.
  • Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property. The number is free and available 24 hours a day.
  • Follow the advice given by the emergency adviser.
  • Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive.

If you contact us at Guinness and have already spoken to National Gas Emergency Team, please ask them for the reference number and let us know this so we can dispatch an engineer to make sure any repairs are carried out promptly.