We want to help tenants and members of their household live independently and safely in their home.  Aids and adaptations are reasonable adjustments to a person’s home that make it safer and easier to live in.

We will approve aids and adaptations for, and work with, eligible social and affordable rent tenants and members of their household who are disabled, where it is practical and reasonable to do so, in order to help them remain independent in their homes

However, we will not carry out or fund aids and adaptations where the property is shared ownership, or the tenure is leasehold or where a Right to Buy or Right to Acquire application has been made.  For Homeowner customers please see the Homeownership alterations webpage.

How do I get an aid or adaptation?

For smaller jobs, ones that typically cost less than £1,500 inclusive of VAT, such as grab rails, lever taps, replacing door handles or signs, etc. contact a member of our Customer Service Centre.

For larger jobs, such as walk-in showers, stairlifts, ceiling track hoists, etc. contact your Local Authority Adult Social Care. They will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to assess your needs and pass their recommendation along to us.

Use the button below to enter your postcode to find your local adult social care’s details:

Your local authority can also provide you with information about the Disabilities Facilities Grant (DFG). The DFG is a grant offered to disabled people who need to make adaptations to their homes. More information about this grant can be found here.

Alternatively, you can install aids and adaptations yourself, at your own cost,  provided you have our permission first.  You can contact us for approval or for more information, take a look at our home improvements webpage.

If you would like more information on aids and adaptations complete the form below and we will get back to you.  You can also read our Aids and Adaptations policy for more information.