Change in circumstance

At some point in your time living with us, you might need to let us know about a change in your circumstances. Find out how to let us know about this below.

Adding or removing someone from your tenancy

Adding or removing someone will change your tenancy to either a sole or joint tenancy.

  • A sole tenancy is in your name only. You’re responsible for your home, including paying the rent.
  • A joint tenancy is a tenancy that is held by you and one other person. You’re both responsible for the tenancy, including paying the rent.

If you want to add someone to your tenancy:

This is a decision which is entirely at our discretion, there are criteria which need to be met to enable someone to be added to your tenancy.

Please complete a ‘sole to joint’ application form.

We grant joint tenancy to married couples, civil partners or co-habiting couples. Both of you must be entitled to social housing.

If you’re co-habiting then you’ll need to show proof that you’ve been living together for 12 months – e.g, a utility bill.

If you’re a carer and you’ve given up an existing social housing tenancy to care for one of our customers, we’ll consider granting you a joint tenancy, as long as you’re both entitled to social housing.

If you want to remove someone from your tenancy:

Please fill in a ‘joint to sole’ application form.

You’ll both need to sign the application form and the legal paperwork.

If one of you has already left the property and can’t be traced, we probably won’t be able to approve the application. Please get in touch to discuss this.

Changing your name

If you’ve changed your name, you will need to send us a copy of the legal document that shows the change, for example your:

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • or Deed Poll document.

Your tenancy will remain the same, and you won’t need to sign a new tenancy agreement. We’ll make sure your new name is in our records.

Please complete the form below and a member of the team will get in touch with you.

If you need to speak to someone about a change in your circumstances, please contact our tenancy management team on 0161 219 7226.

Change of circumstance form