Subletting (sub-tenants) and lodgers

You may be able to take in a lodger, or sublet part of your home, if it's allowed in your tenancy agreement, but you must first get our written permission.

Shared ownership properties can’t be sublet, unless there are exceptional circumstances. Affordable home ownership schemes – like shared ownership – are often funded publicly to help people buy their first home. It’s important that our homes go to people who need them most, so there are rules against sub-letting or renting out your home.

Things to consider if you’re sub-letting or taking in a lodger

If you sublet your property, the lease terms will still apply to you. So you’re responsible for your tenants’ behaviour, looking after the property and paying the service charge. If your tenants breach the terms of the lease, we’ll take action against you as the owner of the property.

We’d recommend subletting your property on similar terms to your own lease.

If you want to sublet your home, please contact us first. You’ll need to let us know in writing and we’ll review the arrangement every six months.

Aside from your lease, there are some reasons you wouldn’t be allowed to sublet:

  • if it would make your home overcrowded
  • if we’re taking action against you or the lodger/sub-tenant for anti-social behaviour
  • if we think that you’re being pressured into taking in a lodger/sub-tenant and don’t really want to
  • if we’re taking possession of your property (but if taking in a lodger/sub-tenant would help your financial situation, we’ll still consider it)
  • the lodger/sub-tenant wouldn’t qualify to live in your home because it’s in a specific scheme (such as housing for older people).

Your responsibilities

You’ll still be responsible for paying any rent or service charge and making sure your tenant is a good neighbour.

You should draw up an agreement with them, so that you’re both clear on:

  • how long they’ll stay with you and an agreed notice period
  • which rooms they’ll have access to and any services you’ll provide
  • how much rent they’ll pay you and whether they contribute to bills
  • any house rules.

You should also consider that:

  • You’re allowed to earn a certain amount of money from renting out space in your home. But you should check how much this is as you may need to declare it for tax purposes or benefit entitlements.
  • You’re letting a stranger into your home. Find out as much as you can about them and make sure you’re comfortable before agreeing to let them move in.
  • Taking in a lodger/sub-tenant can affect your insurance policy, so let your insurance company know.
  • Lodgers/sub-tenants need to register as part of your household, so you’ll need to let your local council know.

Please let us know if your lodger/sub-tenant moves out so we can keep our records up to date.